20.3.06

19.9.05 : Kia Ora from New Zealand!

I arrived about a week ago and am currently staying in Auckland, which is the largest city in this country with over 1.2 million people. I've been blessed to know the Miskell family, who I met through Anna Dauble. The Miskells have opened their hearts and home to me. John, and Stephanie along with their 3 children Tom, Georgia and Tess have treated me as a part of their family. They live in an area of Auckland called Grey Lynn, which is close bus ride to downtown Auckland, as well as other charming neighborhoods, like Ponsonby with fun shops and restaurants.

The New Zealand political election was completed over the weekend. It was fascinating to witness this election, as it was vastly different than the US presidential election. For starters, over 80% of the country votes which is such a refreshing change from the small percentage of US citizens that actually come out and vote. (Another very cool New Zealand fact: women legally began voting in 1893.) Voting takes place on Saturday, so people don't have to worry about taking off work to get out to vote. There is virtually no voter fraud and the ballot process seems very honorable and clean. Also, each party running for office receives campaign funds from the government (and can collect donations from individual contributors), so the campaign fund raising is kept somewhat fair and the political elections don't become obsessed with raising funds. It's been interesting to learn about the differences between the US and the New Zealand political election processes.

Spring in Auckland has similar weather to Seattle, as the sun his hot and beautiful one moment, then raining and cold the next. Currently, there is a strong storm with high winds, dumping rain, fits of hail and cold, cold temperatures. However, since the winter was so mild, the summer will be just beautiful, I am told.

Since I've arrived in Auckland, I've connected with IEP (International Exchange Program) and met a few other students, as well as non-students who are traveling around the country. It seems that each person I meet becomes a character in my mind with a variety of personalities. There is Colin, the Scottish lad and graphic designer who rolls his "r's" and scoffs at the cold weather in Auckland right now. He's spent about 6 months in Australia and traveling all over the Oceanic region: Fiji, the Cook Islands, etc. I met Masa, the beautiful Japanese traveler who was blown away by my "accent" and how I didn't seem very Japanese to her. Masa is about to embark on a trip around the world and hopefully will be stopping in the US next summer so we can meet again. I met Megan, the Portland student who had a plethora of sugary processed snacks from the US and entertained us with a very dry sense of humor. Finally, there is the group of newly graduated students from Colorado, Connecticut and California. They were adventurous, fun and very outgoing. They let met tag along on a fun walk through Devonport, which is a charming seaside town with Victorian style homes and buildings, as well as historic military sites, which were established during the Russian Scare.

This past week, I've explored downtown Auckland and other communities in the city. Also, I've visited numerous art galleries, Auckland University Technology, Auckland Museum (which had fascinating Maori and historical New Zealand exhibits) and more.

This morning I bought a car (watch out Kiwis!). It's a little Honda hatchback and checked out fine at the mechanics. I'll stay in Auckland for a bit longer, and then will travel to Wellington. On the way, I'll take some time and explore the Coromandel Peninsula, Rotorua, the Bay of Plenty and hopefully more along the way.

No comments: