15.7.06

Where in the world is Pau Pau?

For the next two weeks, Simon and I are house and dog sitting for a friend in Taichung city. The dog, Pau Pau is a black, lab-looking dog, but know one knows for sure. She's a somewhat young, very curious, but a happy and good girl. Yesterday morning, I went out to meet the garbage truck. As a side note, the garbage and recycle trucks drive through the neighborhoods playing the same songs so people know what to bring outside. I had never taken the garbage truck, as in our apartment building, we just dump everything in a huge dumpster. So I go out to meet the garbage truck and have a small miscommunication with the garbage lady who's trying to explain that she's only picking up garbage. When I leave, I only shut the screen door for fear of getting locked out of the apartment. I get back to the apartment in time for the rain to start dumping and I call out for the dog. I remember her owner telling us that she's afraid of the rain and really afraid of the sound of thunder. Pau Pau is no where to be found. I start to panic as I know the rain is dumping and I think she's run away while I was out taking the garbage out. I grab my bag and start walking around calling out her name. Now, it's really raining hard and I really am panicked. I recall some information about lost/kidnapped children and for every minute that they are not found, can get further and further away. I am devastated; I think about her owner who's enjoying a lovely holiday in Thailand with her boyfriend and wonder what I'm going to tell her. I also think Simon, who's away at work, will be so disappointed in me. Additionally, I barely speak any Mandarin yet and generally don't mind the challenge, but in this situation just wish I would run into someone that can speak a little english. I find a few pay phones and attempt to call Simon, but can't figure out why his number isn't going through and what the automated voice is saying to me in Mandarin. I walk into a 7-11 and attempt to ask the clerk for help with the pay phone, explaining that I've lost a "hay sir go" or black dog. When he doesn't know what to do, I start to cry and he quickly comes outside with me to help. Simon's phone is turned off or the call isn't going through. Defeated, I continue my search. I go home at one point to grab her leash, an umbrella and her vitamin bottle. I walk around Taichung city for 3.5 hours asking everyone if they have seen a "hay sir go", shaking her vitamin bottle (she thinks they are treats), calling Pau Pau (which literally means "bubble"). I am sure I looked so crazy to everyone. After I start to get blisters on my feet from my birkenstocks, I go back to the apartment to change shoes and who appears, but yes, Pau Pau. I was so happy to see her, I gave her 4 treats. Apparently, she got really scared from the rain and hid from me. Alls well that ends well, but it was an intense morning.

Other than that, I've gotten to know the tight knit group of foreigners who are living and working here. There are people from all over- Canada, the UK, New Zealand, South Africa and the US. Everyone is very nice, helpful, fun and I seem to have much in common with most of them. It's been wonderful having a little network here to help me get acclimated. Last night, we went out to dinner at an Indian restaurant, then went to a bar for a few drinks. The bar was full of foreigners and it was fun to chat with people, learn about their jobs and backgrounds. I even met a man from New Orleans, who didn't speak with any southern drawl and argued with me when I said that people usually speak with a drawl from his city. It was an interesting conversation, indeed. :)

Today, I went to the Immigrant Mall with Simon and Shelley, from NZ. There is a community of Vietnamese and Thai people who have come to work at factories, as cheap labor. Sunday is their only day off, so they come out to the malls. It was so interesting to see other Asians besides Taiwanese. For a little while, I felt like I was in Thailand again. We watched the movie "Inside", a Spike Lee Joint. It was a great heist movie, cost only about $3 and we received a free tea, internet time and game of pool. Plus, once you pay, you can see all of the movies you want. Very fun afternoon, definitely.

The typhoon ended up being rather mild, which was disapointing. I was hoping for trees in the streets and school closures. But, I understand there are more on the way, as the typhoon season doesn't end until September. Oy!

1 comment:

roxtar said...

Poor doggie, POOR MARI!!! Went to a wedding this weekend, made me cherish and see the value in my friends and keeping in touch... I am so glad we do...Miss you!