22.6.07

Oh my blog update! Let's travel back in time... to... Laos!

Yes, it's lame. I haven't updated this blog in so long it's a little embarassing... But, there's a reason why: I got married!! Simon and I tied the knot a few weeks ago and for most of this summer, life has just been nutty, crazy and so fun! More about the summer and marriage soon...

But, thinking back a few months. I left Nepal and...

After Kathmandu, I met up with Simon in Bangkok and we traveled to Laos for a few weeks of relaxing by the Mekong river, enjoying delicious foods (the food shares similar tastes to Vietnamese and Thai cuisine-mint, curry, chili, coconut, but with sticky rice that you form into little balls and dip into dishes..yum. I digress...) and just chillin' in the sun (and some rain, as it's monsoon season). The country has been beaten up over the years from all kinds of forces: wars and governments, however, the people that I encountered were LOVELY. All so kind, humble, full of smiles and generosity.

Additionally, much of the land is uninhabited by people and is full of lush greenery, limestone rocks, water and pure beauty. Apparently, 21% of the land was declared as National Biodiversity Conservation Area to prevent deforestation and wildlife hunting.

In Dhon Det, which is in the south, we spent some time with some excellent friends and met new people too. Our days were very relaxed and full of bike rides, reading, hammock lounging, occassionally going into "town" for a quick e-mail check-in (which was more expensive then most other Asian locations because the entire island's electricity is run on generators) or to buy supplies, like candles for the nights, which created a romantic ambiance as well as attracted the millions of flying termites. Ah, nature.

We ventured north to Vang Vieng, which is a fun town, generally known for it's tubing. Tubing costs $4 to rent an inner tube and a truck takes you up part of the Mekong river. You hop in and along the way there are "rapids", which at the time were little bumpy waves and often rocks involved, but it wasn't a problem for me. The water was pretty shallow to begin with, but it was challenging, as I saw a woman stuck in tall grasses after the "rapids" pushed her out of control, or something.

Then, along the river there are bars with huge swings above the river. The bar men shout "Beer Laos" over and over again ("beerlaobeerlaobeerlao, etc.") you give a smile and a wave and they pull you over with a bamboo pole and in you go. These swings are amazing. Naturally, the first swing was intimidating, but exciting as you climb a fairly sturdy, somewhat rickety ladder to a platform, where another worker pulls the swing over and you fly away. It's really exhilarating and feels as if you are a trapeze performer, flying through the air. Of course, landing without belly flopping is preferred. At the first bar, some foreigners were doing naked swings and it was hillarious! The Laos people were highly entertained by the drunk, tattooed guys who continually swung naked. We had met up with a group of travelers in Dhon Det and we saw them again in Vang Vieng. They were a funny bunch from Australia, England, New Zealand and it was fun to travel with them again.

At one swing, the ladder was really tall and my friend had just given herself a massive black eye by trying to flip off the swing and kneeing her eye on the way down. Ouchie. While I am thinking of my elegant swinging and twirling moves, while carefully navigating myself up this seemingly stable ladder (although I heard the entire swing fell over a few days prior), I am deep in thought. I finally get to the top of the ladder and the Laos man "operating" the swing looks deep into my eyes and asks me "you know how swim?" Yes, it's true that I arrived to that same bar by tube, on the river and in a bathing suit no less, but many Asians don't know how to swim at all, so I guess it's fair that he ask, he's just doing his job. I quickly answered "of course!", then did an extra swingy, twirly swing ride with a magical-no-belly-flop drop into the water. Swim? Boy, just watch me!

While in Vang Vieng, we also spent a day rock climbing on limestone casts. It had been over a year since I had been rock climbing, while Simon had been climbing for most of the last month in Laos, but it all came back to me, thankfully. Our guides were these funny, cheery men, who were talented and helpful. We met other travelers during our climbing day and the physical activity, made me sore for two days. What a wimp, I am!

We spent nearly a week in Vang Vieng and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves with all of the activities available, or doing nothing at all, which we became VERY good at... All over the town were little restaurants complete with comfy lounge tables, oodles of pillows, delicious menus and TV constantly running, all day and night. Our favorite was the Simpsons bar, where reruns of the show played non-stop with yummy food and shakes.For many dinners we visited a restaurant that played bootleg versions of new movies, so we saw the latest "Pirates of the Carribean" movie the same week it came out!

Our travels ended with yet another night train trip back to Bangkok. I strategically planned our last week in SE Asia so we could visit the Chatuchak markets, which offers the BEST shopping I have ever encountered! Over 15, 000 stalls in one day... so many fantastically cheap, cute and excellent shopping morsels and so little time. *sigh* Simon actually outshopped me, as my tired weary feet dragged my hungry body around the markets, following him, wondering when he was going to shop, as he bustled by me (with our extra large bag of goodies and gifts) saying "Just one more pair of shoes, then I'll be done... I think...."

No comments: