10.1.10

Nearly touching flamingos...well, as close as we could get.


Visiting Rio Largartos, we took a private tour and visited gorgeous wetlands with crocodiles, amazing birds and FLAMINGO's!  They are beautiful creatures!  Our perky guide, who was always smiling (seriously) said they are pink because they eat only shrimp.  I researched this and they do eat a lot of shrimp and prawns, but actually live almost entirely on algae and sea bacteria.  So that's why they are more pink in some places than others.

To get this close to these birds, we had to wade out in knee deep water over slippery sand with huge chunks of salt to navigate.  I was extra careful because I was carrying our camera to get this excellent shot.  I surprisingly never fell into the water and decided that this activity was much like rollerskating, in water, while drunk.  This may come as a shock to you, but the birds kept moving away as we got closer.  This was the best I could manage.

No comments: