14.8.10

Neighborly Love of Rainier Beach

Living in an urban concrete jungle like Capitol Hill, in an apartment/condo building, the neighborly conditional love was always a bit edgy- at least in our building.  One neighbor who always seemed to bring baked goods, was often "fishing" for information and/or being nosey.  I will say our neighbors and good friends Ann and Frank, who lived upstairs were the best part of our building.  I always yearn for a community of neighborly love.

Now, that we are in a neighborhood with families around us, some traffic and lots of activity, I have made it a point to get to know the neighbors on our street.  If anyone walks by our home, I'll talk to them, making small talk and hoping to create a more friendly feel.  One young teen walking by commented on how I was being so "cordial" to everyone.  I'm happy he recognized it!

Two houses down lives a really sweet family.  Derrick and his three daughters with their friendly wife, had a garage sale and I ventured down to peek it out.  Earlier in the week, Simon went over to their house for a quick electrical fix that allowed them to use their bedroom light switch which had originally been erroneously installed.  There was no light for 3 years!  They were elated to have the light corrected.

Today, Simon completed the cement pouring in our garage.  As he was nearing the time when  help was needed (and I wasn't home), Derrick showed up, offered his help and the job was done.  Neighborly love.

1 comment:

Ammo and Josh said...

Awwww, wish you guys were our neighbors! That was SO kind of Simon to fix your neighbors light! We are starting to get to know some neighbors and I just love it! I love that "neighborly feel" you are talking about.