24.7.10

Kai's place of employment



The same day I visited DC, Obama was having a meeting with the Russian Prime Minister in the same building.  The building was on security lock down the afternoon. I asked the friendly security guard if I could wait for Kai on the steps, as we planned to have lunch together.  He happily chatted with me and told me some funny stories.  Apparently, Greenpeace has tried some naughty and unsuccessful tactics such as dressing as crazy characters and attempting to climb the building with ladders, etc.  Of course, it's just a matter of time until they all get arrested.  Brilliant!  I guess it's all about the press they receive from the stunt. 

Gus, the security guard was very professional and when I took off my sunglasses, he said "I know your brother! It's Kai Hirabayashi. He wear's the bow ties!"  Kai is a legend!  We lunched at Old Ebbit Grill, across the street from the White House, where political chat was all a flutter (I think I imagined that last part).  Delicious salad, lots of old charm and various DC workers just trying to have a moment of calm. 

Later that day, I met up with Kai again to enjoy a World Cup soccer game at the Sony offices.  Japan vs. Denmark and the Japanese fans were nuts!  The food was spectacular and I was fascinated, discreetly nosey and utterly impressed with Kai's networking skills.  He is one of the smartest men I know and I felt so lucky to get a tiny peek into his professional life.  I love you, Brother!




No comments: