25.7.10

Museums!



DC has many cool and *free* museums, which feature so much of our nation's blood. At one small museum, I enjoyed an exhibit called "The Art of Gaman" and featured art from several Japanese American internment camps.  The art was often made of whatever materials were available- wood (for carvings), wire (for making small miniature flowers and sculptures) and many hand crafted sewing projects.  The exhibit was truly moving.  (Unfortunately, pictures weren't allowed- oops, but I got a few).  Not only did I find an emotional place in my heart for these pieces, but I was again, reminded of the great struggle that my grandparents and so many others endured during WW2.


In this photo, a montage of Martin Luther King Jr's work was represented.  I could have stared at this piece for hours!


In the National Museum of Art Gallery, there was an entire exhibit dedicated to the Virgin Mary.  While I am not necessarily religious, I consider myself spiritual and the expressions of the various Mary's was engaging, rich and so beautiful.  I took many pictures of Mary with or without child, but here's one that really spoke to me:

I took so many pictures, I can't load them all...  I ended the day wandering through one of many outdoor art sculpture parks.  I stumbled upon the "Tree of Wishes"

No comments: